27January

Mold and Allergies

If you have been experiencing indoor allergies in your home, and have no idea what mystery allergen is causing this, the answer could be mold. You may be thinking, “Well, I don’t see any signs of a mold problem, so that cannot possibly be true.” Unfortunately, molds reproduce by forming tiny spores that are not visible to the naked eye. Oftentimes, people who are experiencing adverse health effects from mold exposure fail to make the connection that mold is the cause of their problems. Although you cannot see them, if mold is present those tiny spores are there, and they can impact your health greatly.

The most common health problems connected with mold are allergies. People with sensitive immune systems who have inhaled or touched mold spores may experience allergic reactions. These can often include a runny nose (rhinitis), sneezing, nasal congestion, watery eyes, skin rash and itching (dermatitis). Allergic reactions from molds vary from person to person. Two people with a mold allergy may not experience the same symptoms. Molds can also trigger asthma attacks in those who are allergic to molds. This can cause wheezing, chest tightness and shortness of breath. If you suspect that mold may be the root of your allergies, it’s best to take action as soon as possible.

Fortunately these symptoms to mold exposure are temporary and can be alleviated by correcting the mold problem. As with any allergy, if the allergen is removed, so are the symptoms. Mold spores are very difficult to destroy, so it’s important that you contact a professional for proper remediation. Once you have established that mold is a possible problem, schedule an appointment with CMI to perform an indoor air quality assessment or mold inspection.